[protege-owl] Union of class and some subclasses

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 23 09:26:53 PDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 6:56 AM, cedric.peeters at fundp.ac.be wrote:

> My problem is: how to specify the range of a property called
> “hasEvolution” as a union of the class “LesionEvolution” and one of
> its
> subclasses but others subclasses excluded?
>
> Example: LesionA hasEvolution LesionEvolution including
> LesionAEvolution
> but excluding LesionBEvolution and excluding LesionCEvolution.
>
> Is it possible to specify such a range?

Yes.   (below)

> We can make a subclass of “LesionEvolution” called
> “CommonLesionEvolution” to store the common individuals and then
> specify
> the range as “LesionAEvolution” and “CommonLesionEvolution”. But
> anyway,
> I’m asking myself if it’s possible to specify a range as a union of a
> class and some of its subclasses excluding some other subclasses.

Yes.  You can do that by just writing the expression using complement
(negation) of the classes you want to exclude:

range =   (LesionEvolution v LesionAEvolution) ^ (complement
LesionBEvolution)
                                                ^ (complement
LesionCEvolution)
                                                ^ ...