[protege-owl] basic doubt

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 23 09:40:51 PDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 9:20 AM, heloise at inf.ufsc.br wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a basic doubt...
>
> Supose that a Class A has  the datatype property “has_name”
>
> If  I have a class B (disjoint with A), and the class B also has a
> property
> “has_name”
>
> Should I create a new property for class B (for ex. has_B_name) ? or
> I can use
> the same property “has_name” used in class A?

You can use the same property.

In fact, if you intend that the properties have the same meaning, you
should use the same name.

Having the classes be disjoint just says that they can't have any
individuals in common.  But they can still have all of the same
properties available.  You only have to make sure you don't restrict
the domain of "has_name" to be class A only.  It is fine to have it be
Class A or (union) Class B, which is what you get by adding multiple
domains to a property in the Protege editor.