[protege-owl] Union of class and some subclasses

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 23 09:43:33 PDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Thomas Russ wrote:

>> We can make a subclass of “LesionEvolution” called
>> “CommonLesionEvolution” to store the common individuals and then
>> specify
>> the range as “LesionAEvolution” and “CommonLesionEvolution”. But
>> anyway,
>> I’m asking myself if it’s possible to specify a range as a union of a
>> class and some of its subclasses excluding some other subclasses.
>
> Yes.  You can do that by just writing the expression using complement
> (negation) of the classes you want to exclude:
>

> range =   (LesionEvolution v LesionAEvolution) ^ (complement
> LesionBEvolution)
>                                                ^ (complement
> LesionCEvolution)
>                                                ^ ...

On further thought, the inclusion of the sublcass is actually not
needed, so this can be simplified to

   range = LesionEvolution ^ (complement LesionBEvolution)
                           ^ (complement LesionCEvolution)
                           ^ ...

You will probably also want to declare all of the subclasses to be
mutually disjoint.