[protege-owl] SQWRL query help needed

Przemek W teonacatl at
Mon Oct 27 07:19:13 PDT 2008

I am trying to extract "Dry" wines from the wine ontology. The SQWRL query :

wine:Wine(?wine:x) ∧ wine:hasSugar(?wine:x, ?wine:y) ∧ swrlb:equal(?wine:y,
"Dry") → sqwrl:select(?wine:x)

returns an exception:

Exception running SQWRL queries: error running SQWRL queries: Jess reported
an error in routine invokeSWRLBuiltIn
	while executing (invokeSWRLBuiltIn
"" 0 false
?,0,1) "Dry")
	while executing rule LHS (Node2)
	while executing rule LHS (Node2)
	while executing rule LHS (MTELN)
	while executing rule LHS (TECT)
	while executing (assert
  Message: error invoking built-in from Jess: exception thrown by built-in
'swrlb:equal' in rule
'': expecting
string, got individual with name
'' for (0-offset)
argument #0.
  Program text: ( assert ( ) )  at line 1 in
file <eval pipe>.

I am assuming I can't use "swrlb:equal(?wine:y, "Dry")" here, because "Dry"
is a string.
I was trying to use Built-ins from but non of them worked
for me.

I think my problem is similar to this one: ,
however when I reconstrunt my query into:

wine:Wine(?wine:x)  ∧  wine:hasSugar(?wine:x, ?Dry) → sqwrl:select(?wine:x),
it lists all the wines there are, it doesn't matter if I write ?Dry or
?Sweet it always returns the same result.

Any hints?
Sent from the Protege - OWL mailing list archive at