[protege-owl] Problem with Import Ontology

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 28 06:48:24 PDT 2008

You have hit an awkward bug.  The problem is with the foaf ontology.
The xmlbase of the foaf ontology (http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/) is
different than the ontology name (http://www.mindswap.org/2003/owl/
foaf) for the foaf ontology.    There is actually some debate as to
how the ontology name should be calculated in this case because some
argue that the xmlbase should win in this case.  But Protege 3
determines that http://www.mindswap.org/2003/owl/foaf is the name of
the ontology because that is the name of the sole owl:Ontology
instance found in the file.

Unfortunately the Protege 3 owl repository manager uses the xml:base
to calculate the name of the imported ontology.  This is probably done
because this is much more efficient that reading the file as an rdf
file to determine the rdf file name.  I am noticing that Protege 4 has
the same problem with foaf.  I am not sure how hard this is to fix or
what owl 2.0 says should happen with this case (Protege 4 is based on
owl 2.0).  I will investigate the fix for this issue.

As a workaround, since the foaf file is on your disk, you could change
the name of the foaf ontology with a text editor.  Also there is a
page that talks about ontology names and imports [1].

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/How_Owl_Imports_Work#OWL_Imports