[protege-owl] Difference between 'annotation property' and 'class definition restriction'?

Patrick McCrae patrick.mccrae at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Oct 29 01:37:22 PDT 2008

Thanks, Thomas for this excellent and detailed response!

I apologise for not having indicated in my post that in the meantime I
have migrated on to Protege 4 and have therefore now started using the
generic OWL API V2.2.0 rather than the Protege OWL API. Since I have
worked extensively with the latter interface before, your answer is
still a helpful clarification in the Protege 3.x framework to me.

As I am not familiar with the distinction between 'annotation property'
and 'class definition restriction', could you please briefly expand on
the difference between the two concepts?

To clarify the use of the property 'has_Lexicalisation' in my ontology:
I have included restrictions such as 'has_Lexicalisation value Lex_Mann'
as a necessary property in the definition of a class, i. e.: I have used
the property to define a superclass of the class. Would this make it a
'class definition restriction'?

Thanks again -

Pat
_______________________