[protege-owl] Distributed Onotolgy modeling with Protege?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 29 09:04:32 PDT 2008

> But another question presents itself.  Even if one instance
> of Protege could do this, it would not be practical to model SNOMED
> with one
> user on one machine at a time. We would need a way of doing
> distributed
> modeling.  Does Protege support multiple users modifying the same
> OWL file?
> If not, does anyone know of an OWL modeling platform that would allow
> distributed modeling of a massive ontology such as SNOMED?

Yes Protege does support such distributed mode [1].  SNOMED would be
loaded on a single machine and the clients would  be accessing the
server remotely.  There are a few other options for doing this type of
work (Sesame) but I don't know much about how to use them, or what is
possible with them.

>  We are able to
> classify the entire un modified SNOMED ontology (we have not yet
> added any
> negation, disjunction, GCI's or Universal restrictions).  I was asking
> earlier if Protege running on a massive machine with 64 bit Linux
> and 16
> gigs of RAM would be able to load this ontology (of nearly 500K
> terms) and
> be able to add new terms with the so far unused features that
> distinguish
> SHOIN from EL+.

I don't know the real answer to this.  In theory it should work fine.

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege_Client-Server_Tutorial