[protege-owl] make defined classes mutually disjoint

Daniel Isemann isemandi at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Oct 31 07:53:16 PDT 2008

Hi,

I am using Protege 3.3.1 (Build 430) and tried to make a group of
sibling classes mutually disjoint by using the "Add all siblings"
button. Regardless of whether I choose the "Mutually between all
siblings" or the "Only between this class and its siblings" option,
nothing happens. Now all my sibling classes are definied classes and I
already learned from previous posts to this mailing list that defined
classes are apparently not made disjoint by the "Add all siblings
button". I wonder what the reason for this is? Because surely there
could be four primitive classes that have pairwise non-empty
intersections such that a pair of defined intersections (say A intersect
B and C intersect D) is disjoint. So it's not necessarily possible to
express the disjointness at the level of the primitive classes. Plus
Protege does allow to express disjoints between defined classes using
the individual "Add disjoint class" button.

To sum up:
1) Why does the "add all siblings" button not make defined classes
disjoint?
2) Is there a workaround if I have to make many defined classes mutually
disjoint?

Or am I missing something completely?

Thanks a lot,
Daniel