[protege-owl] Infering in Protégé 3.3.1 and query sparql

James Howison james at howison.name
Fri Oct 31 09:20:17 PDT 2008

On 31 Oct 2008, at 12:05 PM, Zalba wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Protégé 3.3.1 with the reasoner Pellet.
> I created an ontology with classes istance  of rdfs:Class, because I
> need to work only with RDF/RDFS without OWL.
> How can I infer new concept?
> For example I have
>
> director is a subProperty of member.

> and
>
> John  (istance of Person)
> director (property)
> Research (istance of Department)
>

> I've to infer:
>
> John
> member
> Research

Or, in Turtle:

@prefix : <http://www.myUri.com/hidll#> .

:John rdf:type :Person .

:Research rdf:type :Department .

:John :director :Research .

:director rdfs:subPropertyOf :member .

So you expect to infer the statement:

:John :member :Research .

> I ask this because If I make a simple Query SPARQL like this
>
> PREFIX uri: <http://www.myUri.com/hidll#>
> SELECT ?x
> WHERE { uri:John ?x ?object }
>
> the result is only "director" and not "member" too.
>
> How can I do?

If I've translated from your notation to standard notation correctly I
think you should be able to apply a reasoner (Pellet) and you should
get that result.  That's assuming the SPARQL tab works with the
inferred as well as the asserted statements.

If that doesn't work, try saving your ontology as Turtle and checking
the statements.

--J