[protege-owl] Using ObjectHasSelf in Protege 4.0

Jevon Wright j.m.wright at massey.ac.nz
Sun Aug 2 23:26:50 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to define an OWL ontology as follows: I have an Edge, that
connects two nodes. I would like to add the restriction that Edge cannot
connect the same Node together, i.e. Edge.source != Edge.target.

>From the OWL mailing list it was suggested I use the ObjectHasSelf axiom.
i.e.:

Declaration(Class(MyNode))
SubClassOf(MyNode ObjectComplementOf(ObjectHasSelf(connectedTo)))

However when I load this up in Protege 4.0 build 113, I get the following
parsing error:

org.coode.owl.functionalparser.ParseException: Encountered "(" at line 16,
column 51.
Was expecting one of:
    ")" ...
    ":" ...
     (Line 16)

Replacing ObjectHasSelf with another term resolves this error. Could it be
that the functional syntax parser does not have ObjectHaveSelf (from OWL
2.0) defined? "OWLFunctionalSyntaxParser.jj" does not have it defined.

If the functional syntax parser cannot load this file, how else could I
define this using Protege? Am I using the ObjectHasSelf axiom correctly?

Thanks,

Jevon