[protege-owl] Using ObjectHasSelf in Protege 4.0

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 3 05:40:28 PDT 2009

You have run into one of the differences between owl 1.1 and owl 2.0.
Protege 4.0 has not quite incorporated all the latest owl 2.0
changes.  If you look at the owl 1.1 [1] and owl 2.0 [2]
specifications, you will see that in owl 1.1 hasSelf is represented as
ObjectExistsSelf and in owl 2.0 hasSelf is represented as ObjectHasSelf.

In addition, in Protege 4, a hasSelf restriction can be added from the
user interface using the manchester owl syntax:

	hasTopping some Self

There is a bleeding edge version of Protege 4.1 in svn which has
incorporated many of the owl 2.0 changes.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/owl_specification.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-owl2-syntax-20090611/#Self-Restriction