[protege-owl] Class incompatibility between Protege 3.4.1 binary release and 3.4.1 SVN?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 5 06:41:24 PDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 1:45 AM, simonpa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to connect from a fresh Protégé 3.4.1 installation (binary, from
> website) to a Protégé 3.4.1 Server which is built from SVN sources
> (and
> started in eclipse). Everything works until opening the
> collaboration tab.
> Then I get a
> java.io.InvalidClassException:
> edu
> .stanford
> .bmir.protegex.chao.ontologycomp.api.impl.DefaultOntology_Component;
> local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID =
> 5604731067330685839, local class serialVersionUID =
> -6398320490477530252
> This suggests a different code base between the SVN version and the
> release
> version from the website.

This is not surprising though I know that at this moment Tania is
working with code that is skirting this issue.  For several reasons
you can run into problems when the version of the code on the client
and the server are different.  If I were doing this I would probably
build both the server and the client from the same sources but I don't
know the constraints on what you are doing.

> I reverted from the trunk to the 3.4.1 tag for the
> protege-core, protege-owl, protege collab, protege rdf-backend, and
> Protégé
> changes project, but still, the error occurs. Any ideas what might
> be wrong?
> Btw. the SVN version of the offending class is 13858.

This is exactly the right idea for making things work.  I don't know
why you would still be having trouble with this.  There are several
possibilities and I will have to give it a try later today to see if I
can replicate this issue.

-Timothy