[protege-owl] [protege-discussion] Access to Protégé's Server

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 10 08:51:33 PDT 2009

Hi - your diagram is nicely done.  I don't know what you did but it
answered many questions I could ask.

I wanted to ask you about the telnet.  When you said you could not use
telnet, did you mean that (1) you could not download or start telnet on
your machine or (2) you ran telnet and it was blocked?  If it was the
latter case then Protege is failing for the same reason that telnet
failed.  This would mean that you have a networking problem.

Also - everything looks right but I want to avoid confusion - when/if
you used telnet - were you running it inside the lan (on a 192.168.1.*
machine)?  Also another place to try  telnet would be on the
192.168.1.69 machine itself.

Oh - and I noticed one more thing.  If you want the server to work
outside the lan then the hostname line needs to be

   -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=200.40.69.126

What this means is that the server registers itself as

    200.40.69.126:5200

and this will be how a protege client will reconnect back to the server.
Unfortunately this setting will probably not work inside the lan.
(Getting both to work involves some dns magic.)  The setting shown

   -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=192.168.1.69

will mean that Protege will work inside  the lan but not outside.  The
server registers itself  as

     192.168.1.69:5200

which makes sense on the lan but not  on the intern et.

-Timothy