[protege-owl] Deleting Individuals

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 12 10:49:12 PDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 5:20 AM, Robert A. Elliott,Sr. wrote:

> Three questions.
>
> 1. Did the RequirementsEngineer_1 and
> RequirementsEngineer_One individuals show up in the Instance Browser
> for you? Only RequirementsEngineer_One shows up in Protege as I view
> the Instance Browser yet  RequirementsEngineer_1 shows up in
> the .owl file.

RequirementsEngineer_1 shows up in the instance browser under the
class protege:ExternalResource.  This is what happens when Protege
can't determine its type.  What ever happened to
RequirementsEngineer_1 seemed to involve it losing its type.  There
are several individuals in protege:ExternalResource and I am wondering
if these are also individuals that you somehow had trouble with.

> 2. Can I manually delete RequirementsEngineer_1 from the .owl file
> and not corrupt the ontology?

If you mean using a text editor then the answer is a guarded yes.
Editing rdf directly is dangerous though and experience helps.

You can also delete it in Protege 3.4 and it seems to work fine.

> 3. What is the relationship between the .owl file and the url of the
> ontology? (http://pluto.cse.msstate.edu/~rae20/SRSontology#).
> Are they in sync with one another? ie updated automatically by
> Protege? I actually FTP a copy of the .owl file to the hosting
> server(pluto) randomly.

This is a surprisingly complicated question and the answer is changing
between OWL 1/1.1 and OWL 2.0.  Much of the naming complexity comes
when people want to import ontologies.

The easiest case is when the name of an ontology can also be used as a
url to retrieve the ontology.  This should also be the name that is
used in import statements.  This is the recommended practice.  But
because urls move, people work off their hard drive and other such
issues the story has become more complicated.  I have described a
version of the owl 1.0 situation here [1].

The OWL 2.0 story is simpler. It is recommended but not required that
an ontology can be retrieved by its name or version IRI (see [3] for a
more accurate description).  However, experience with the web suggests
that this will often not be the case.  Imports statements are like I/O
directives or html links.  Whatever they find is the import that they
should load.  There is also an allowance for an import statement to be
redirected by some mechanism such as XML catalogs [2].  This
redirection mechanism is going to be very important (people often want
to edit their ontologies on their computer but deploy to the web) but
I don't know if anyone has implemented a tool that handles this with
OWL 2.0 ontologies.

Note that - approximately - Protege 3.4 works with the OWL 1.0
specification, Protege 4.0 works with the OWL 1.1 specification and
Protege 4.1 (not released yet) works with the OWL 2.0 specification.

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/How_Owl_Imports_Work
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-owl2-syntax-20090611/#Ontology_Documents