[protege-owl] Setting the instance under consideration in the collaboration plug-in programmatically

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 13 10:41:21 PDT 2009

Hi Simon,

Thanks. I'm aware now :)

Things are a little bit more complicated than they seem. Problem is that
the annotation display component is built by a project plugin
(ProtegeCollabGUIProjectPlugin), which does have a reference to it and
has a getter method for the panel. Now the problem is how to get the
project plugin.. There are always ways  :)

I am not sure how to keep the reference to the annotations display
component, because it is a panel that applies to an entire Protege
instance. I could keep a static reference to it and provide a getter,
but I really want to avoid using statics.

The annotation display component will listen to the selection of the
"class tree" set for a tab (it doesn't necessarily mean "class", could
be anything else). For example, in the ClassesTab it listens to the
selection of the class tree, in the Properties/Slots Tab it listens to
the selection of the properties tree, etc. So, if you have your own tab,
and call on it setClsTree(myTree), then the annotation display component
will pick that up and listen to your selection.

If you would like to use the annotation display component in your own
application, you can just use the constructor, and then call setInstance
on it.

If you have suggestions on how to better expose the existing annotations
display component through the API, I'm happy to hear them.

Tania