[protege-owl] state of the art for n-ary relations?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 24 09:30:30 PDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 7:31 AM, Elmar Drewitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is somebody able to give a short survey on the state of the art
> concerning n-ary relations for protégé-owl?

Essentially the way you have to represent n-ary relations in OWL is to
create a separate individual that represents the relation.

Say, for example you wanted to have a relation BETWEEN(END1, MIDDLE,
END2).  You would have to create new class BETWEEN-RELATION and then
use properties END1, MIDDLE, END2 to  link an individual BETWEEN-
RELATION to the individuals representing the values of that n-ary
relation.

> In my concrete example I would like to have a simultaneous
> characterization of entities by a (unique) company ID (say its tax
> number), a period, a GAAP characterization, a Boolean
> characterization mandatory or not and the value itself (monetary,
> digital, percent, string) such that this “vector” is unique.

I'm not quite sure I understand your example here.

In any case, it is unfortunately not possible to have OWL enforce any
uniqueness constraints based on values of properties.