[protege-owl] Error while parsing ontology created in Protege4 with OWLAPI

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 13:34:28 PDT 2009

This seems to be a problem with the file name:

      file:/C:/Users/jwa/myont.owl

I think under Windows it must be file:// plus the path and file name.
So if you try to change the parameter for
loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI(..), you might be able to solve the problem.

Otherwise, please post the complete line that contains the call to
loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI.

Cheers

Thomas

On 25 Aug 2009, at 20:24, jwa at student.agh.edu.pl wrote:

> Hello
>
> For example: I saved my ontology in Manchester OWL syntax format, and
> while invoking loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI(..), the following error
> occures:
>
> ##############
> The ontology could not be created: Problem parsing
> file:/C:/Users/jwa/myont.owl
> Could not parse ontology.  Either a suitable parser could not be
> found, or
> parsing failed.
> Parser class:
> org.coode.manchesterowlsyntax.ManchesterOWLSyntaxOntologyParser
> org.semanticweb.owl.expression.ParserException: Encountered
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/12/owl2-xml#> at line 0 column 19. Expected
> one
> of:
> 	=

> ##############
>
> Thanks in advice
>

>> First, Protege 4 loads and saves ontologies using the owlapi.  So
>> ontologies that you can load in Protege 4 certainly will load in the
>> owl api.
>>
>> You need to provide some information about the error that you are
>> seeing.  My first guess - based only on information that you have
>> provided - is that you are having trouble with imports resolution.
>> Protege 4 handles problems with an import gracefully but if you
>> simply
>> load an ontology with loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI an import that
>> can't
>> be found it will fail:
>>
>>    Parser: RDFXMLParser
>>    org.semanticweb.owl.io.OWLOntologyCreationIOException:
>> protege.stanford.edu
>>
>> If this is your problem then it can be easily fixed.
>>
>> -Timothy
>>

>> On Aug 24, 2009, at 5:37 PM, jwa at student.agh.edu.pl wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Is there any way to load an ontology, created in Protege 4, with
>>> OWLAPI
>>> (http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/) ?
>>> The standard ontology from example
>>> ("http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/pizza/2007/02/12/pizza.owl") of
>>> course
>>> loads perfectly, but if I try to create another, simple ontology,
>>> fails on function loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI(..). I have tried to
>>> load ontology in all output formats, which Protege provides, and all
>>> have
>>> failed. (Protege didn't show any errors in his ontology, and read