[protege-owl] SPARQL queries in Portege4.0

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 26 10:00:49 PDT 2009

Querying OWL using a particular serialization of it is far from optimal.
SPARQL has no understanding of any OWL constructs - it can be used to
query its RDF serialization only. And, if you have ever looked at an RDF
serialization of an OWL ontology you will see that those serializations
can be very complex. Worse, different tools may serialize the same
constructs in different ways so queries written over the RDF
serialization produced by one tool may not work on the same constructs
serialized by another.

Protege 3.4 has an OWL-specific query language called SQWRL [1] that is
based on OWL. It is not available in Protege 4 yet, however.

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SQWRL