[protege-owl] API as Ontology

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at
Mon Aug 31 06:47:56 PDT 2009

Hi Faraz

If I understand well, you have a bunch of Java classes (or interfaces) , and
you want to translate that into OWL.

Obviously you want to apply these rules:

Java class --> OWL class
Java properties (JavaBean properties) --> OWL property
Java instance --> OWL instance

Now methods are a different beast. What I would do is add them as predicates
applied to the OWL classes, because there is no OWL equivalent of methods
About the predicates and classes to use for modelling methods, I feel that
the best is to reuse an established vocabulary, namely UML.
Right now, with the EulerGUI project (, I'm
working to translate all of UML2 metamodel into OWL. I already have a raw N3
(RDF) representation of it, and I'm tuning the translation rules.
Please stay tuned:). But this not mandatory for your needs.

To actually generate the OWL + UML annotations for methods, you could do
straightforward Java introspection, from Class to Method to parameters. Then
generate N3 turtle, much easier than RDF-XML.

Hope this helps.

2009/8/31 Faraz Fallahi <faraz.fallahi at>

> hi
> im trying to generate an ontology out of an API. Now i wonder if how i
> should represent the different elements. Some essential questions bother me
> :
> Should an Object be represented as a concept or as an instance? When i
> represent them as concepts should a function be represented as the instance
> of its Object concept or is it better to represent functions as instances of
> a generell concept called "function"?
> My first thought was to represent classes (objects) as concepts and their
> functions as instances. I tried to google similar works for inspirations but
> with no success yet.
> I would really enjoy a little discussion about this and your thoughts. If
> you know about "API ontologies" i would really appreciate it if you could
> forward me.
> greetings
> faraz

Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52 -- +33 (0)1 39 55 58 16
( we rarely listen to voice messages, please send a mail instead )