[protege-owl] Protege versions

Ina Bumshtein inbumif at
Sun Feb 1 22:35:08 PST 2009

Your answers were really helpful. Thanks

--- On Wed, 1/28/09, Timothy Redmond <tredmond at> wrote:
From: Timothy Redmond <tredmond at>
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] Protege versions
To: "User support for the Protege-OWL editor" <protege-owl at>
Cc: inbumif at
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 7:16 PM

Thomas Russ gives a good answer but I will expand on this a bit.  My usual
recommendation is to use Protege 4 unless you need some feature in Protege 3.4.
 Protege 4 is where the future is and it provides a much more consistent
representation of OWL content.

Unfortunately for you, I think that you are new to Protege so this doesn't
help too much.  So I would  modify this, try both but favor Protege 4.

The difference between the owl versions should  not be too much of an issue.
OWL 2.0 is to a very large extent backwards compatible.  (Can't remember any
ontologies that load in Protege 3 but not in Protege 4.  But there are many that
load in Protege 4 but not in Protege 3.)   OWL 2.0 has some very nice features
and is also the future of OWL.

On Jan 27, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Ina Bumshtein wrote:

> Hello  everyone,
> As I understand after reading mailing list archive all tree available
Protege versions are in use. At this moment I'm using 3.4 beta, but I'm
not sure if it was the correct choice (even after reading protege wiki
comparison). May be you could tell me what you used and what you think is the
proper choice. At this moment I'm searching for arguments why it's
better to use one or another tool version.
> The main difference of 3.4 beta and 4.0 is the OWL version, but I
couldn't fined any detail comparison.