[protege-owl] Best approach for incorporating meta information

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 08:41:29 PST 2009

Hello Simon,

For representing the metainformation, you might consider the
Annotations that are available in OWL 2.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-syntax-20081202/#Annotations

To keep the bulk of the annotations separate the idea would be to keep
them in a separate ontology that is imported into the main ontology.
If you want to "strip" the annotations, you don't do the import.

The only nit is the ability to annotate entities that can't naturally
be referred to outside the ontology proper: Axioms and anonymous
individuals. In this case you can include a minimal annotation in the
ontology proper naming the entity, and then attach the main
annotations to that name. E.g.

Instead of

SubClassOf( Annotation( rdfs:comment "Children are people." ) a:Child a:Person )

use

SubClassOf( Annotation( a:axiomName a:axiom1 ) a:Child a:Person )
and then in the imported metadata ontology file:

AnnotationAssertion( rdfs:label a:axiom1 "Children are people." )

-Alan