[protege-owl] Represent facts about facts???

Harald Weis harweis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 03:22:18 PST 2009

We would like to use OWL and Protege to consolidate knowledge
from several databases and other sources into a single set
of ontologies.
However, we have hit one major obstacle: how to represent
information *about* facts in the ontology?

For example we might have a triple
  Ind1 prop1 val1
which indicates that a certain individual Ind1 is known
to have val1 for property prop1.
Now we would also like to represent that this fact comes
from a certain database, or has been asserted at a
specific date.
So we would want to have the whole triple as a subject,
possibly in a separate ontology. Of course there would be
more thant one fact to be stored about each fact and
there would be millions of ground facts about which we
want to store such "meta facts".

I have read about "reification" but this does not seem to
be a solution here since it essentially "cuts up" the triple
and we do not have the triple available in its original form
(e.g. for reasoning) any more.

So -- is there any way to "layer" ontologies so that the
facts (=triples) in one ontology can be used as subjects
or objects in a different ontology?

Are there any workarounds to achieve something similar in
a different way?
Or do we have to consider a different way of knowledge
representation for this alltogether -- which other
knowledge representation frameworks would be able to do this?

Many thanks in advance!
  H.