[protege-owl] Question about the Selection of Object-Property values in Protege

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 23 19:57:29 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 4:12 AM, xin liu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> During the use of protégé3.x, I found a tiny thing which was not
> very convenient for the users. This is the selection of  the object-
> property values for an individual in protégé. When a user wants to
> add/edit an object-property value for an individual in “INDIVIDUAL
> EDITOR”, the protégé application will pop-up a new window with title
> “Select Resource…”, in the left frame is “Allowed Classes” and in
> the right frame is available instances for each class in the
> ontology. The user is given a chance to select the “correct”
> instance as the value of the object-property. But the problem is
> that it only displayed the “name” of available instances in the
> ontology and the user could only see a list of names of available
> instances. If the name does not include enough information to
> distinguish itself and the others, the user cannot determine which
> one is the “correct” instance, he/she has to go back to check the
> properties of each instance in order to get the “correct” object-
> property value.
>
> What if the name is a unreadable URI. In this case, the statement
> above would be a real problem to the users. So in my opinion, a
> tooltip which displays the rdf:label or datatype property values
> would be set for each instance in the “Select Resource…” window so
> that the users can know the details of each instance and distinguish
> it and the others, this will help the users to select the resource
> he/she wants more convenient.

If I am understanding the question right, then what you need to do is
to change how Protege displays the individuals.  Displaying
individuals by URI is only the default choice and this can be changed
for your project.  In particular see the directions from [1].

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/HidingIdentifiers