[protege-owl] RE: Use of protégé to describe services and dependencies

Pitonyak, Andrew D PitonyakA at BATTELLE.ORG
Wed Feb 25 07:11:22 PST 2009

Start small and learn a bit to see what seems like it works. A very simple Ontology can represent the simple relationships; for example, play with something like this:

<owl:Class rdf:about="#Machine" />
<owl:Class rdf:about="#Service" />
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#DependsOn">
    <rdf:type rdf:resource="&owl;TransitiveProperty"/>
</owl:ObjectProperty>

This is likely too simplistic for your purposes, but you can have instances of machines and services and then create some dependencies. Because the property is transitive, a reasoner should be able to follow dependencies.

As you become more comfortable, you can try better properties with a domain and range, etc...

I have not used Frames, nor have I considered this problem before.

-----Original Message-----
From: protege-owl-bounces at lists.stanford.edu [mailto:protege-owl-bounces at lists.stanford.edu] On Behalf Of Rafael Diaz Maurin
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:10 AM
To: protege-discussion at mailman.stanford.edu; protege-owl at mailman.stanford.edu
Subject: [protege-owl] Use of protégé to describe services and dependencies

Hello everybody,

I recently discovered protégé and the ontologies, and I would like to
build an ontolgy of the services which are running on a network, and the
dependencies between each other.

Example : The Service SYMPA (mailing-lists) of the machine 'aaaa'
depends on the instance of the service MySQL on the machine 'bbbb', the
instance of the service apache on the machine 'aaaa' and the service
sendmail of the machine 'cccc'.
Apache can be described like this : name, default configuration files,
default logs files.
And the instance of apache on the machine 'aaaa' can have differents
configuration and log files, name of administrators...

This could help me for example to construct graphs to find if there are
some Single Points Of Failure, if some services need to be highly
available on my network...

I have a few questions :

0/ Has someone has tried to describe such things with protégé and can
share some experience ?
1/ Do you think ontologies and protégé can help me to describe those
services and dependencies ?
2/ what is better for me to use : protégé-owl or protégé-frames ?

Thank you for everything,
Rafael