[protege-owl] [p4-feedback] SWRL Language FAQ

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 26 11:07:03 PST 2009

>Protege does allow such definitions.  You just have to find the right
>place.
>It is hidden in one of the menus:
>
>   OWL > Edit owl:allDifferents...
>
>Another alternative is to use the
>   Tools > Quick OWL > Create multiple individuals...
>wizard to create the individuals.  It offers the option of including
>the allDifferents assertions as part of the creation process.
>
>You can also make use of disjoint classes to some extent, but I'm not
>sure if SWRL supports the inference that individuals belonging to
>disjoint classes have to be different from each other.

The Jess back-end of the SWRLTab will not support this type of inference
[1]. I think that Pellet would though.

>>>Lastly, Are there any other examples explaining the SWRL and Open
>>>World Reasoning.

You can find a discussion of the open world assumption in [2]. It is not
SWRL specific but the principles are exactly the same for both OWL and SWRL.

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLRuleEngineBridgeFAQ#nid6QL
[2] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/presentations/OWA.pdf