[protege-owl] Namespace issue

Vitor Barbosa eng.vitor.barbosa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 06:42:51 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

this is a OWL related question, which has some impact on the use of Protégé
3.4.

Is it possible to have the same URI as the default namespace (i.e. *xml:base
*) and associate it with a prefix (e.g. *xmlns:dl-safe *in the following
example)? The example is from: http://owldl.com/ontologies/dl-safe.owl

<!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
  <!ENTITY dl-safe "http://owldl.com/ontologies/dl-safe.owl#">
]>

<rdf:RDF
    *xml:base="&dl-safe;"
    xmlns:dl-safe="&dl-safe;"*
    ... >

bla bla

</rdf:RDF>

I think this is possible indeed (well, I have seen it in diverse ontologies)
but Protege 3.4 doesn't like this feature (or is it Jena parser?) and when I
open the dl-safe.owl an warning is thrown. Also, when I try to see the
RDF/XML source code an exception is thrown. These warnings can be
respectively found in attachment.

Thanks and best regards,
Vitor Barbosa