[protege-owl] Tab not displayed

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 4 12:31:37 PST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 10:51 PM, Waqas Ahmed wrote:

> thank you Thomas, at last my tab showed up in prtege but i encounter
> another problem now.  it is not displaying the controls i added on
> my form. dataontotab.class impliments the abstract method for tab
> widget, but is not the class that contains GUI components. the GUI
> form class is in another package but code is now trhowing class not
> found exception for that class

There is not enough information to know exactly what is wrong.

The Protege plugin class loader first looks for a class in the plugin
directory, then recursively works through the plugin dependencies and
then finally goes to the system class loader (defined by the jvm
classpath line).  So the first question that you need to ask yourself
is which classloader should find the class that you are missing.  If
you document which class loader should find the missing class and
exactly why it should find the class then perhaps we can give you
further advice.

Also a word of caution.  Don't confuse the ClassNotFoundException with
the NoClassDefFoundError.  I often get these mixed up but the process
of debugging them is entirely different.  The ClassNotFoundException
means that the class loader had problems finding the class.  It is
thrown by methods like Class.forName().  The NoClassDefFoundError is
very different and seems to usually mean that the class loader got
into trouble when it tried to initialize the class.  So an exception
thrown during static initialization might come out this way.

-Timothy