[protege-owl] Expressing value range for data type property

babar shahzad babarathotmail at
Tue Mar 10 11:23:20 PDT 2009

thank you Thomas.

thank you for telling me a work around for that. But its impractical for my domain.
I am just in the way of becoming more acquaintance  with p4, that is my 1st choice anyway, despite of may be some of its limitations may be visible
in coming days too

Babar Shahzad Chaudary,
Deptt of Information Processing
University of Oulu, Finland.

----- Original Message ----
From: Thomas Russ <tar at ISI.EDU>
To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at>
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:02:30 PM
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] Expressing value range for data type property

On Mar 9, 2009, at 12:59 PM, babar shahzad wrote:

> I have a datatype property 'hasPositionX', whose domain is 'classA'
> & range is 'float'.
> I have to create a restriction like, " classA hasPositionX >= 0 or
> <= 10 " ......( i.e. any value from 0 to 10 )
> How can I write this restriction in p3.4.

You can't.
You need to use OWL 2.0 to write restrictions like this.

Unless the range of the position is integers.  In that case, you can
choose to enumerate all of the possible fillers.  This would be
practical only for small ranges of the integers, but from 0 to 10 it
would work.  You would restrict the type of the property (or set its
range) to be an enumerated set.
protege-owl mailing list
protege-owl at

Instructions for unsubscribing: