[protege-owl] A complex p4: DL Query

babar shahzad babarathotmail at
Mon Mar 16 08:04:29 PDT 2009

thnaX a lot Kaarel,

Actually, I have to write a complex query. Like that: have to use results returned from one query into other.

data type properties:

So query is like: what are members of the class whose value for hasName is FRED.
So query should first select one of sub classes of classA(based on hasName) & then return the individuals that are members of this class.

I am able to separately fetch both values but struggling in merging them into a single query that I needed.

Thanks a lot for any help in advance.

Babar Shahzad Chaudary,
Deptt of Information Processing
University of Oulu, Finland.

----- Original Message ----
From: Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand at>
To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:52:10 PM
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] DL Query and SQWRL

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:37 PM, babar shahzad <babarathotmail at> wrote:
> Is it not possible to use SQWRL with p4 ?

Currently not.

> There is very little guide about queries that can be used in DL Query Tab. Are there built ins for DL Query?
> Is there some detailed document for DL Query ?

A DL query is an OWL class expression. That's it.
OWL class expressions are very well documented
in the OWL specs.

In P4, these class expressions are written in the Manchester Syntax.
(I don't know why they are called "descriptions" there.)

So, that's the syntax and semantics.

A separate question is what are the answers to a DL query
supposed to be.
Currently P4 shows the

* named individuals that belong to the queried expression
* named classes that are sub classes of the queried expression
* named classes that are super classes of the queried expression

protege-owl mailing list
protege-owl at

Instructions for unsubscribing: