[protege-owl] Unique cannonical serialization (using Subversion or some such)

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:59:05 PDT 2009

Hi Tanya,
While I agree with the general sentiment, I don't agree that text diffs
won't be useful. In fact in many cases they will be. I think that by
default, protege should try as hard as it can to have a stable rendering of
the ontology, and this isn't *that* hard to do. There isn't any good reason,
as far as I can tell, for the current situation, in which even ontologies
that are not changed at all are serialized in a different order each time.

Regarding the prompt plugin, I just tried it and was put off by the fact
that I couldn't point it at an OWL file - it only takes pprjs and I didn't
have one for our previous release.

I'm aware of the experimental serialization method. It's a reasonable start.
If it's past being experimental, then I suggest removing the label and
making it the default serialization. If it is still experimental, then it
would be good to know how much it can be trusted currently and when it can
be expected to be stable enough to use for 'production'.

Past that, what would be very helpful would be for the NCBO to put out a
command line tool OWL diff tool that can be configured for uses with svn
(via --diff-cmd) and instructions for how to set it up. There is a
significant clientel for tools that play nice on the command line.

Regards,
-Alan