[protege-owl] Unique cannonical serialization (using Subversion or some such)

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 17 17:31:02 PDT 2009

Hi Alan,

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> Hi Tanya,
>
> While I agree with the general sentiment, I don't agree that text
> diffs won't be useful. In fact in many cases they will be. I think
> that by default, protege should try as hard as it can to have a stable
> rendering of the ontology, and this isn't *that* hard to do. There
> isn't any good reason, as far as I can tell, for the current
> situation, in which even ontologies that are not changed at all are
> serialized in a different order each time.

Agreed. Protege 3.x uses Jena for the default serialization and we used
it as a kind of black box. We cannot really control the writing out part
except for the types of serializations (RDF/XML, RDF/XML Abbrev - this
is what we use, etc.). If there is some configuration in Jena to make it
output in a more predictable way, we are happy to integrate that into
Protege for a patch release.

> Regarding the prompt plugin, I just tried it and was put off by the
> fact that I couldn't point it at an OWL file - it only takes pprjs and
> I didn't have one for our previous release.

You are right. This is a reminiscent of old days. If you do have a pprj
file for the owl file, it will work fine. If this is an impediment, we
might change this in a future patch release. The change is trivial.

> I'm aware of the experimental serialization method. It's a reasonable
> start. If it's past being experimental, then I suggest removing the
> label and making it the default serialization. If it is still
> experimental, then it would be good to know how much it can be trusted
> currently and when it can be expected to be stable enough to use for
> 'production'.

Our fault. It's not experimental anymore, we just forgot to remove the
label...

> Past that, what would be very helpful would be for the NCBO to put out
> a command line tool OWL diff tool that can be configured for uses with
> svn (via --diff-cmd) and instructions for how to set it up. There is a
> significant clientel for tools that play nice on the command line.

I'll pass this to the NCBO folks. I think they plan to, or already have
web services for retrieving the structural diff between 2 ontology
versions stored in BioPortal.

Thanks for the feedback,
Tania