[protege-owl] Is there a way to add/remove instances to/from imported ontologies in Protege 3.x?

Erkin Eryol erkineryol at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:02:43 PDT 2009

Dear Protege Developers,

We have already set the imported ontologies as "not read-only". But
still we cannot add new instances directly into the imported
ontologies. Instead, it writes into the current ontology. Is there a
way to tell Protege to which file or ontology to add a new instance
to?

We keep all instances of a particular class in a seperate owl file.
Let's say "instances-of-class_A.owl". We have also a "schema_A.owl"
containing the definiton of Class_A.
Then we create another owl, "imports_both.owl", which imports both of
these. When we try to add a new instance of class_A, it's stored in
"imports_both.owl". But we want it to be stored in
"instances-of-class_A.owl". Can we do that in Protege 3.x OWL-api?

Soner-Erkin
Orbim Corp.

p.s: We work with owl 1.0.