[protege-owl] Is there a way to add/remove instances to/from imported ontologies in Protege 3.x?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 18 08:18:20 PDT 2009

You can change which ontology you are making changes to by "setting
the active ontology".  In the metadata tab (usually the first tab on
the left), there is a little pencil icon above the tree of
ontologies.  Select the import that you want to edit and click the
pencil.  If you succeed and you are using the latest Protege release,
then you will see the metadata tab change its title to Metadata(active
ontology).  Now your edits will apply to the active ontology and this
is what will be saved.

In my opinion this is much less intuitive in Protege 3 than Protege
4.  Protege 3 puts some arbitrary ("frame-like") constraints on what
you can edit in your path.  I also find the fact that you see
statements from the importing ontologies while editing the imported
ontology difficult.  Protege 4 makes it very clear what you are
editing and does not constrain your edits.

-Timothy

BTW - if you are trying to do this programatically then here is the
code snippet:

         OWLModel owlModel = ont.getOWLModel();
         OWLOntology ont = ...;

         if (!ont.equals(OWLUtil.getActiveOntology(owlModel))) {
             TripleStoreModel tsm = owlModel.getTripleStoreModel();
             TripleStore tripleStore = tsm.getHomeTripleStore(ont);
             TripleStoreUtil.switchTripleStore(owlModel, tripleStore);
         }