[protege-owl] A complex p4: DL Query

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 18 11:39:46 PDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 10:39 AM, babar shahzad wrote:

> thank you Kaarel,
>
> OK, sorry for inconvenience. Its like
> since Product & Shelf are subclasses ofStore, both have 2 subclasses
> under those.

Ok - this is a bit unintuitive to me already.  An individual Product
is a Store?  An individual shelf is a Store?  If I take the "real
world" expected meaning of these terms I would expect that a product
and a shelf would be things that I would find in a store.  I would not
expect a product to be a store.

If this is actually an error, I would think that it would make more
sense to define a isLocatedIn property and maybe a sub property of
this which is onSaleAt.  Then I can describe

1. products that are currently located in some store:

      Product that isLocatedIn some Store

2. products that are located in a particular store:

      Product that isLocatedIn some { store1 }

3. products that are on sale at a particular store

      Product that onSaleAt some { store1 }

etc.

> -' Product-1' &'Product-2'  contain products as individual members &
> have necessary restriction 'Product-1 locatedIn some Shelf-1',
> 'Product-2 locatedIn some Shelf-2'.
> - Since 'locatedIn' & 'hasProduct' are inverse properties so
> individual products in a specific shelf are retrieved by 'Shelf-1
> and hasProduct some Product' or by typing just 'Shelf-1' in DL Query
> Tab. ----------------------------------------------QUERY#1
> - Both Shelves have 'locationX' & 'locationY' datatype property,
> with value like "Shelf and locationX some float [ >=0.0, <11.0 ] ",
> "Shelf and locationY some float [ >=0.0, <11.0 ]"  forShelf -1, and
> "Shelf and locationX some float [ >=11.0, <21.0 ] ', Shelf and
> locationY some float [ >=11.0, <21.0 ]"  for Shelf-2.
> - A specific Shelf is retreived by giving coordinate, like " Shelf
> and ( locationX value 1.0 ) or ( locationY value 0.0 )
> - Now what I wanted is I query using coordinates of shelf, query
> fetches a specific Shelf with those coordinates(like --QUERY#2 ) &
> returned individual products as a result(like--QUERY#1).

The products on a shelf with a given location?  Maybe something like

inv(hasProduct) some (Shelf and locationX some float[>=11.0,<21.0] and
locationY some float[>=11.0,<21.0])