[protege-owl] A complex p4: DL Query

babar shahzad babarathotmail at
Thu Mar 19 03:11:41 PDT 2009

Thank you Thomas for your interest,

You are right, product is not a store.  A Shelf is not a special kind of store.

But if you take Store as a storage area, a Shelf is then a specialization of Storage area...... ??

As far as Product is concerned, I agree it is a not a subclass of Store. Its a part of Store if we state it in data base terminology. I was originally not with  this point of view but thanks to your asking for individuals of store example.

I will wait for your comments on Shelf thing. Don't you have any suggestion about a DL Query I ask ??

Babar Shahzad Chaudary,
Deptt of Information Processing
University of Oulu, Finland.

----- Original Message ----
From: Thomas Russ <tar at ISI.EDU>
To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:39:16 AM
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] A complex p4: DL Query

On Mar 18, 2009, at 10:39 AM, babar shahzad wrote:

> since Product & Shelf are subclasses ofStore

They shouldn't be.
A product is not a store, so the use of the subclass relation is
A shelf is also not a special kind of store.

They both be items which are found IN stores, but they aren't subtypes
of store.  It will be easier for you if you try to build the ontology
using the class hierarchy only for true subset-of properties and
introduce your own additional properties for the other relationships.

Otherwise you'll be wondering why you get hundreds of product
individuals when you ask for all individuals who are Stores.

protege-owl mailing list
protege-owl at

Instructions for unsubscribing: