[protege-owl] How to set the range of a property to some particular instance's property value ?

Erkin Eryol erkineryol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:18:28 PDT 2009

Dear Protege
While I was developing a Protege-Owl based application with many UI's
using Protege-Forms, I ended up with , afaik ,a limitation of the api.
It's a little hard to explain, so I give an example of the case that I
encountered.

First of all, the ontology we are developing is a football ontology
and I will use this terminology for the example.

Assume there is a football match class, "FootballMatch". And
"FootballMatch" has 2 properties shown on the below table;

_____Domain____|____Property_____|____Range______
   FootballMatch   |     homeTeam       |       Team
(cardinality: exactly 1 )
   FootballMatch   | homeTeamPlayers|       XXXXXXX
(cardinality: greater than 11)

And there is a "Team" class has one property defined below;

_____Domain____|____Property_____|____Range______
           Team        |    teamPlayers      |       Player
(cardinality:  greater than 11)

When the "homeTeam" property is set to a value which is an instance of
"Team", say "team_1", I want the value of "homeTeamPlayers" to be set
to the value of team_1's "teamPlayers" property, which are "Player"
instances.

So If the user of my application opens the "FootballMatch" form which
is produced by Protege Forms Editor and sets "homeTeam" property to
the instance "team_1", at the same time, the value "homeTeamPlayers"
should be automatically filled with the player instances of that team.

Is there a way to do this with Protege-Owl api at run time?

p.s. We use Protege 3.x owl api .

Erkin & Soner
Orbim Corp.