[protege-owl] How to set the range of a property to some particular instance's property value ?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Mar 19 09:13:23 PDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 7:18 AM, Erkin Eryol wrote:

> Dear Protege
> While I was developing a Protege-Owl based application with many UI's
> using Protege-Forms, I ended up with , afaik ,a limitation of the api.
> It's a little hard to explain, so I give an example of the case that I
> encountered.
[snip]

> When the "homeTeam" property is set to a value which is an instance of
> "Team", say "team_1", I want the value of "homeTeamPlayers" to be set
> to the value of team_1's "teamPlayers" property, which are "Player"
> instances.
>
> So If the user of my application opens the "FootballMatch" form which
> is produced by Protege Forms Editor and sets "homeTeam" property to
> the instance "team_1", at the same time, the value "homeTeamPlayers"
> should be automatically filled with the player instances of that team.
>
> Is there a way to do this with Protege-Owl api at run time?

Well, there are a couple of options.

One is to design your own interface as a plugin.  Then you can perform
whatever manipulations you want to.  You would also need to make sure
that you undid any actions if the user subsequently removes the
homeTeam value.

I think that you could also attach a listener to the form element
widgets and use that to trigger your actions.  (I'm not quite so
familiar with this, though.  Perhaps one of the Stanford folks could
elaborate).

A third would be to move to OWL 2.0 (necessitating Protege 4) and set
up a simple property chain to get the values of the homeTeamPlayers
property.  You could then define the chain {homeTeam teamPlayers} to
be a subproperty of homeTeamPlayers and have an OWL 2.0 reasoner
provide the answers.
See <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-new-features-20081202/#F8:_Property_chain_inclusion