[protege-owl] How to set the range of a property to some particular instance's property value ?

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 19 15:41:20 PDT 2009

Hi Erkin,

I think the easiest way of doing this is to attach a property value
listener to the homeTeam property and whenever the value changes, the
homeTeamPlayers property values should be updated automatically. This is
quite easy to implement and you can do it as a project plugin or slot
plugin. Thomas suggested using a widget listener for setting the values,
but unfortunately, there is no such listener in protege. The widgets
will automatically update the display if the value of the property has
changed in the knowledge base.

I've learned from other modeling experience that synchronizing values
between properties is not trivial... For example, should it be possible
after adding a homeTeam, to manually change the home team players (after
they have been filled in automatically)? And if you change the home team
players, is the home team the same as before? What if you change the
home team and you already have overrides in the home team players, etc.
etc.

I was wondering if it is not enough to have in FootballMatch just a
pointer to the homeTeam, which already contains all the players. Why
duplicate the information? Of course, there can be reasons for it, but
if this is a purely UI issue, then it is not really worth complicating
the modeling just because the tool does not show the information as needed.

There is actually a widget, called "ContainsWidget", that will show you
the content of the instance value. For example, if you would attach the
Contains widget to the homeTeam in the FootballMatch form, then you
would actually see an embedded form of the Team that is the value of
homeTeam, which shows the players. See attached screenshot. This
solution would get rid of the synchronization issue and the UI would
show the desired information and no coding needed (from your part :) ).

For some reason, the Contains Widget does not show up in OWL, but if
this is would be helpful, I can investigate this and enable the widget
also for OWL projects.

Tania