[protege-owl] Fw: creating a project based on an XMI file

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 20 17:37:43 PDT 2009

I had actually good experience with Argo UML. Earlier version of
Poseidon would also work well. The key is that the backend works only
with XMI 1.1 or 1.2 and UML 1.4. I'm not sure what version of XMI most
UML tools would export to.

If you look in the users guide of the UML backend, you will see what are
the quirks that you need to do for some of the UML tools.. It's not a
guarantee that it will work, though..

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UMLBackendUsersGuide

For MagicDraw, you need to make some steps:

"*UML import from MagicDraw*: MagicDraw stores its XMI files in a ZIP
archive (choose XMI version 1.1), from which the XMI file can be easily
extracted (you might want to rename the suffix from .xml to .xmi).
However, MagicDraw generates slightly invalid XMI files, which need to
be modified with a text or XML editor (such as XMLSpy
<http://www.xmlspy.com/>). The following change needs to be done:
Replace all occurrences of * with -1. MagicDraw apparently violates the
UML standard here. Furthermore there seem to be some illegal characters
in the file, and the parser might generate that he is unable to find a
document root. To solve this simply open the XMI file with XMISpy and
save it again".

As I said, there is no guarantee that this will work, but maybe it is
worth a try...

Another idea would be to look for other UML for OWL converters that are
available.

Tania