[protege-owl] What can I do in SWRL that is not possible using QueriesTab, Access database

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 23 11:17:19 PDT 2009

Martin

mbikinyi brat wrote:

> Dear ALL,
> 1)Being a novice in using SWRLTab in protege3.4, I have not been able
> to formulate a query in SWRLTab that is not possible using the
> QueriesTab plug-in in protege. Can someone help me with an example.

Any SQWRL query with built-ins, for example, would not typically be
possible in the QueriesTab. The QueriesTab has limited understanding of
OWL's semantics.

> 2) Furthermore, can someone provide me with an example of a query
> possible in ontology knowledgebase or SWRLTab or QueriesTab that is
> not possible in traditional database system such as MS Access?

Relational databases (such as MS Access) use the relational model. The
relational model is far less expressive than OWL and does not aim to
provide the rich semantic description of entities supported by OWL. The
relational model, for example, has no conception of relationships
between classes in a hierarchy, for example, and provides a very limited
set of modeling constructs.

You could of course develop your own representation of some of these
modeling constructs and encode them using the relational model and write
queries against entities encoded using this representation using
(probably fairly complex) SQL. However, you would be need to invent your
own semantics for these constructs, and supporting some of OWL's more
complex axioms would be incredibly difficult.

Martin