[protege-owl] What can I do in SWRL that is not possible using QueriesTab, Access database

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Mar 23 11:44:16 PDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 8:05 AM, mbikinyi brat wrote:

> 2) Furthermore, can someone provide me with an example of a query
> possible in ontology knowledgebase or SWRLTab or QueriesTab that is
> not possible in traditional database system such as MS Access?

One very simple example.

OWL:
   Class: Person
   Property: hasChild
   Class: Parent <=>  Person and atleast 1 hasChild

   Query:   Parent(?x)

DB:
   Table: Person
   Table: hasChild

   Query:  ??

You don't have the terminology for "Parent" in the relational model,
so you can't directly query for it.  Instead, you would have to
manually expand the definition of a parent into the SQL query itself.
Deductive databases can help a bit in this direction, but even with a
deductive database, you would not be able to directly assert that
someone was a Parent, since that would be a virtual relation that
could only be used in queries.