[protege-owl] Thanks Thomas

henry fonbeyin fonbeyin at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 12:32:08 PDT 2009

Mighty Thanks Sir.
Regards,
Henry

From: Thomas Russ <tar at ISI.EDU>
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] What can I do in SWRL that is not possible using QueriesTab, Access database
To: "User support for the Protege-OWL editor" <protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu>
Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 6:44 PM

On Mar 22, 2009, at 8:05 AM, mbikinyi brat wrote:

> 2) Furthermore, can someone provide me with an example of a query
> possible in ontology knowledgebase or SWRLTab or QueriesTab that is
> not possible in traditional database system such as MS Access?

One very simple example.

OWL:
   Class: Person
   Property: hasChild
   Class: Parent <=>  Person and atleast 1 hasChild

   Query:   Parent(?x)

DB:
   Table: Person
   Table: hasChild

   Query:  ??

You don't have the terminology for "Parent" in the relational
model,
so you can't directly query for it.  Instead, you would have to
manually expand the definition of a parent into the SQL query itself.
Deductive databases can help a bit in this direction, but even with a
deductive database, you would not be able to directly assert that
someone was a Parent, since that would be a virtual relation that
could only be used in queries.