[protege-owl] Best of Breed OWL API

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 06:57:06 PDT 2009

Hello Everyone.

Just to summarize this thread, and this information may be useful for
others...

When talking about creating an OWL-DL ontology editing application using
java code and an Ontology API to help do so we have:

Name
Link                                                           Desc
The OWL API              http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/.
OO Style OWL-DL API
Jena                           http://jena.sourceforge.net/
<http://jena.sourceforge.net/>\
Protege API                http://protege.stanford.edu/

Jeremy you brought up the comment that Jena was designed more for analysis
type applications as opposed to ontology editing applications. From the
little that I have experimented (jena java code examples) I saw that Jena
could be a good candidate for use as an API for an ontology editing
application? I put a question mark because I would like your expert
elaboration on this please.

We also have a different option as brought up by Scott. Using TBC's API to
edit ontologies using SPARQLMotion and web services (interesting take).

We talked a little about how to integrate the reasoning services, into an
ontology editing application... Atanas mentioned DIG and also pointed out
how we could have "shallow" inferencing when using DIG. I did experiment and
read up on DIG and also agree that is not a good idea, furthermore; the
ontology editing application will reside on the same server as the reasoner
making less need for using DIG.... That being said what are your takes on
how to integrate reasoning services using java code and (new topic :) a
"Reasoning Services API".
If I remember correctly TBC uses DIG for pellet and other reasoners that we
may want to add, the new version of Protege stopped using DIG for reasoning
services the last time I looked.

I should have originally included the Protege team into the conversation, it
would have been delightful to have your input on the issue. So as you know
we discussed APIs to use for :
1) Editing Ontologies (OWL-DL)
2) Inferencing services using OWL-DL reasoners Pellet, etc. <not through
DIG>.

What I was going to discuss now was solutions for storing the ontologies (in
a DB), as brought up by Kendall from the Protege team pelletDB sounds
interesting.  As you all know the pin that broke the camels back was loading
a 140 owl file into memory to work with (not fun)... So what options do we
have for efficient means of storing an ontology, I have also heard about but
never looked into Jena's (JenaDB and SDB)

Regards,
Ninus