[protege-owl] How to programmatically and transparently create new Ontologies/TripleStores related to existing one?

Simon Paradies simon.paradies.ext at siemens.com
Wed Mar 25 09:58:57 PDT 2009

Hi all,

In my project, I want to be able to store meta information about arbitrary
instances (e.g., defined in an ontology denoted [instances]) using a second
ontology [instance_meta] in which the meta information is stored (instances and
their metadata should be stored separately).
Example:
A user loads an arbitrary ontology and creates instances that are stored in
[instances]. When she adds meta information, it should be stored in the meta
ontology [instance_meta]. Since the meta ontology in the first place is not
there, it needs to be created first. This should be done without user
intervention, i.e. by taking the name of [instances] and just adding a fixed
suffix (e.g. [instance_meta]).

Is there some way (interface) that supports the creation of ontologies
(corresponding to already existing ones as described above) regardless of the
underlying storage backend (file or DB) used for the [instances] ontology?
Any solutions on how to create a new TripleStore (related to an already
existing one as described above) programmatically?
After searching the NG and also looking at the sources, I thought maybe
TripleStoreModel.createActiveImportedTripleStore() could be the right place to
start with. Is there some more documentation on it?

Thanks
Simon

P.S.:  Using the GUI, I was unable to create a new empty import for both, an
ontology that is based on files and an ontology that uses the DB backend.
In the first case, after selecting an OWL file to store the new import, Protégé
complained that it could not find the ontology and requests to add an ontology
repository. However, whatever option I tried to point to the new import,
Protégé complained that it could not find it.
In the second case, after selecting an OWL file to store the new import I got:
SEVERE: Exception caught -- java.lang.ClassCastException:
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.database.OWLDatabaseModel cannot be cast to
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.JenaOWLModel
	at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.imports.emptyimport.
EmptyImportWizard.onFinish
(EmptyImportWizard.java:61)
	at edu.stanford.smi.protege.util.Wizard$1.actionPerformed
(Wizard.java:72)
…