[protege-owl] instance editor for web-protege

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 25 10:27:20 PDT 2009

We definitely want to support instance acquisition in WebProtege. The
good news is that we have a very modular infrastructure for WebProtege
and the entire UI is configurable (in a similar way to Protege 4). We
are very close with the implementation of storing the layout
configurations that are serialized as xml files on the server side. All
the "widgets" are called portlets and can be shown or hidden in the UI,
rearranged by drag'n'drop, etc.

This means that you can quite easily implement your own portlet, that
supports editing or other functionality without really depending on what
we are doing.
There is already a user who has implemented instance acquisition in
WebProtege for his project. You may contact him to see if he is willing
to share the implementation. One of his posts on the list is here [1].

We will provide some editing capabilities very soon (probably in the
next month), but it won't be as powerful as what you have in the Protege
rich client. The forms mechanism in Protege-OWL is not ideal. It is very
hard to implement a good forms mechanism for OWL due to its open world
assumption. To have really "correct" forms you would need to use a
reasoner, which might not be convenient at all times. We will have to
think about this issue for Protege 4.

In any case, WebProtege will have editors for predefined datatypes (e.g.
date, time, strings, instances of other classes, etc.). We will start by
extending the existing property table in WebProtege Instances Tab with
some editing capabilities. As an example of another way of instance
editing using GWT, you can take a look at another project that
implemented a custom instance acquisition form using GWT and the
WebProtege backend [2] (click on Next on the first screen).

We are also considering of porting WebProtege to use another JS widget
library. We are currently using gwt-ext, which seems to be replaced by
SmartGWT - a better library that provides really powerful features,
especially for editing.

So, if you want to start, you could take a look at SmartGWT and
implement your own portlet in WebProtege. We'll try to add some
developers' documentation for WebProtege in the next weeks.

Tania

[1]: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.general/17348
[2]: http://biositemaps.bioontology.org/editor/BiositemapEditor.html