[protege-owl] annotation properties

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Wed Mar 25 17:09:56 PDT 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Valeria Curbelo wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
> Thanks for the answer.
>
> I agree that the value of the annotation property is not supposed to
> be
> inherit, but the name of the property yes.
> For example:
>
> Class A has these annotation properties:
> 1. versioninfo = 1.2
> 2. description = bla bla bla...
>
> I want all the subclasses of A have both properties but probably with
> different values.

So, you just add those annotations with different values to each of
the subclasses.  You don't have to do anything special.  They just get
added the same way any annotation property gets added, by using the
annotations widget in the class editor panel.

If you want those annotations to appear the same way that "comment"
does, then you can add them to the OWL preferences.  Go to the  OWL >
Preferences... menu and select the "Annotations" tab.  That should add
those annotations to the list of ones shown in the widget.

For this, you don't need to use meta-classes.

> On the other hand, maybe I need use what you say "meta-classes", I
> don't
> know use this concept with Protégé, can you give some idea about it?

You would create your own subclasses of owl:Class and then either use
a right-click in the concepts tab to add this meta-class to your
classes.  Or you could use the individuals tab to do the same thing.
You might need to turn on the visibility of owl:Class first, though.

But for your goal, I don't think you need this.