[protege-owl] How to programmatically and transparently create new Ontologies/TripleStores related to existing one?

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 25 18:10:50 PDT 2009

Simon,

The answer to your question is yes, you can create in the background any
ontology, even if the GUI has another one loaded. This is exactly what
the Change Management Tab (CMT) and Collaborative Protege (CP) are
doing. In fact, what you are trying to do seems to be very similar to
the functionality that is already available in Protege. Rather than
implementing everything from the beginning, you could take a look
whether you can extend what is already there. The CMT and CP stores
metadata about instance creation, etc. and all other events in a
separate RDF ontology as instances. You can take a look at CP [1] and
CMT [2]. They are open source and well maintained.

The metadata ontology that CP and CMT are using is the Changes and
Annotation ontology (ChAO) and can be found in the change_management
plugin folder of your protege installation. It can be easily extended to
support other types of metadata.

If you want to create your own ontology in the code, just create a new
OWL model, for example by using:
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModel()

If you are starting a new development, it is better to base it on
Protege 4, if possible.

Tania

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Collaborative_Protege
[2] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Changes_Tab