[protege-owl] Namespaces of imports are not stored in importing OWL file using the API

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 25 18:24:10 PDT 2009

It's a feature :)

There is no recommendation of how to handle namespaces and prefixes in
OWL; so each tool does what it considers best.

The fact that the prefixes in the importing ontology are not changed at
save time was a desired feature by several of our users. At load time,
Protege will look into all the prefixes of imports and it will aggregate
them  by going from the top most ontology to the imports. The "most"
importing prefix will win if there is somewhere lower in the import
hierarchy another prefix defined  for the same namespace. But this is
just a runtime convenience, and unless the user specifically say that he
wants this prefix in the importing ontology, Protege will not modify the
exiting prefixes (We did a lot of work to insure that :) )

So, in your import code, if you would like to preserve an imported
prefix, you can state it in the importing ontology. Something like:
namespaceManager.setPrefix("importedPrefix",
"http://www.test.test/ImportedOntology.owl#" ). You can do this either
before or after the import.

Tania