[protege-owl] help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Mar 26 10:42:47 PDT 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 2:14 AM, Quratulain Rajput wrote:

> Another issue is when I set restriction using protege and creating
> individual in protege it is taking any value which I am entring
> without considering restriction. how I can restric the values of
> instance.

Well, first of all, I don't think the restrictions mean what you think
they do.

For example, in m.owl in class A0 you restrict the minimum cardinality
of DisplaySize to be 10.  That means that all instances of A0 are
supposed to have at least 10 values (fillers) of the DisplaySize
property.  This is a restriction on the number of fillers, not on
their value.

Secondly, restrictions that you add are used by reasoning engines to
evaluate the consistency of the ontology.  You would have to run a
reasoner (such as Pellet) in order to detect problems.  Restrictions
are used for inference.  They are not type checks in a programming
language sense.  So you can violate them when populating an ontology.
If you then run a reasoner, the violations will be detected since your
ontology will be determined to be inconsistent.

Third, if you want to restrict types you have to use an AllValuesFrom
or SomeValueFrom restriction.  In OWL 1.0, you are a bit limited in
what you can use to restrict the value of literals to.  If you need
numeric ranges, you will have to use OWL 2.0 and the Protege 4 editor.