[protege-owl] retreiving Individuals using SPARQL

James Howison james at
Thu Mar 26 20:00:28 PDT 2009

On 26 Mar 2009, at 1:52 PM, Thomas Russ wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2009, at 3:25 AM, babar shahzad wrote:
>> Hi J;
>> I tried your query & results are awesome. It fetches everything it
>> finds in ontology, does not have any effect on result set whether I
>> make Male, Female, OR Human as object.
>> Screen shot is attached.
> That's because you keep using a variable instead of a constant.
> It doesn't matter what a variable is named, it will still match
> anything.

You've given this pattern:

?var1 rdf:type ?var2 .

(?male and ?Male are different)

So its returning matches for all triples where rdf:type is the middle
component.  You need to use a constant, eg :Human, in the third

?var1 rdf:type :Human .

Have you looked at your ontology in Turtle, N3 or N-Triple format?  If
not then you should do that, because then you'll see the triples that
you are matching against.  Think of the variables as wildcards.